Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Lupus Walk 

Thanks to all who donated to Lupus to help find a cure for this debilitating disease. 

I am sure from other post that those who know me heard that my daughter Heather was supposed to walk with me to quote her from her blog  Ironically, Saturday at 3:30pm I was supposed to be on my way to downtown Atlanta to participate in the Walk For Lupus that I had been collecting donations for over the past few weeks. My mom has Lupus and we were going to walk together. John Powell, our Youth Minister was my biggest supporter of that walk. His wife also has Lupus. The last time I spoke to John Powell was to give him a big hug and thank him for supporting me and the cause knowing that his wife was dealing with the same thing as my mom. I had no idea that instead of participating in the walk that he had generously donated to on that Saturday that I would be singing at his funeral.”

So….I was on my own and determined to go because so many had donated to support me and of course we are walking for a cure to this horrible debilitating disease….

So the day of the walk is here…It was 85 degrees.  With my new Nikes on, sleeveless purple shirt (sunscreen over applied) and white caprice I leave the house at 1:45 pm.
I drive to Indian Creek Marta Station and the ride was pretty much how I figure only no other apparent “walkers” that I could tell….  It was crowded and I had a seat by the door.   The last man in was face forward to my side and as we were riding along, I felt wet droplets running down my arm! Not sure if it was drool or his sweat but either way…UGH!! Had to change Marta’s at Five points, go downstairs on an escalator (PRAISE!) and get on the Marta going North.  There we got on a Bus to take us with-in 2 blocks of Piedmont Park.
 
By now its 4:15 pm and I had to Register, get a  t-shirt, a butterfly on a stick for those with the disease to carry and a rubber bracelet.  By this time I was so hot, I stepped under the 1st EZ Up to get relief from the sun and ask where the water was.  By the look on the elderly ladies face I must have looked like I really needed it because she opened up her personal cooler and handed me a bottle of cold water.  I accepted it graciously.
 
OK it was 45 minutes till the walk started I had no chair to sit in and no way to rest other than a far off shade tree and the ground so off I went.  I was not sure if I would be able to get up after I sat down but at this point I didn't care.  I had to rest.

 
The walk started promptly at 5:00 p.m. and was led by a band.  It was hot and at this point I had unfortunately lost most of my energy.  I had the Nike GPS on my IPhone so I was tracking how far I walked.  The Brochure said there was a ¾ mile walk and a 2 ½ mile walk.  At this point I am thinking I am doing the ¾ mile walk …. After 1 mile appeared on my GPS and no sign of a ¾ mile walk anywhere,  I along with many others were ready to turn around due to the fact we knew it was a mile back from where we started.  Not counting getting out of the park and back to the bus stop.

When I finally made it up the hill toward the entrance of the park I saw a police woman and a Grady Ambulance…. A cool ambulance would feel really good right now… But I ask the officer if I was going the right way to the Marta Bus Stop and she said, Ma’am, I don’t know their schedule!  (Well that wasn’t what I ask but I had no energy to argue or I would probably be writing this from jail)… GREAT!  I kept following the ones that were straggling out hoping it was the right way and it was.  I even found a little bench to sit on in the shade.  The bus pulled up before long and as I approached the first empty seat with a good size woman I fell into the seat, the woman said, “You almost took my arm off!”  Near tears and not much caring if I did take her arm off and whack her across her face with it, I apologized and tried to ignore my pounding head and beating red face…… Back at the Marta station I ask her about which way I was going she mumbled something and left me in my misery….
Head pounding, shaking all over from I am sure at this point heat exhaustion I find the up escalator and ask around to be sure I am headed toward home…. 12 minutes later I am in a crowed but cool Marta train.   I am sure my face must be as red as a Fire Engine because of the looks I am getting. I just got out my Iphone and pretended to be busy until we get to the end of the line.  Indian Creek Station…..
 I find my car and am never so thankful for AIR CONDTIONING and my own surroundings.  The whole day is playing over in my head and unfortunately I am having quite a “pity party”…. My phone rings and it’s my hubby anxiously asking how my day went… And I erupt like a 2 yr old… Everything came pouring out tears and all…. Then I realized I couldn’t see to drive because the half of can of sunscreen is burning my eyes…I told him we would talk when I got home ( I know he couldn’t wait
J)
 
When I finally pulled in the garage my hubby was waiting for me.  He carried in my shoes which I had taken off as soon as I got in the car and whatever else he could grab to help me. I head straight for the shower and take a nice cool one.  Grab a robe and head to bed. The tears started flowing and I think I cried for 30 minutes…I am not sure what I was crying about…Probably frustration, exhaustion, fear, shame, feebleness, pain….

He offered to go get my favorite foods but nothing sounded good… He insisted on my favorite lemon pepper wings and chocolate Malt which was at 2 different restaurants, but he didn’t care…Such a sweetie… I rested, he left and returned and as I thought I couldn’t eat. A few gulps of Chocolate malt and I was sick at my stomach….I went to bed, as I fell asleep wondering if Lupus patients aren’t supposed to overdue it in the sun why they would have a Lupus walk in Atlanta at 5:00 pm…..

Thanks to all who donated to Lupus to help find a cure for this debilitating disease.  Really!


Next Doctor Appointment is tomorrow May 2nd.  Anxious to talk to my Rheumatologist .

No comments:

Post a Comment